Skip to: Site menu | Main content

Beach Triangle Residents Association

Neighbourhood News and Information

The Beach Triangle Residents Association, Toronto, Ontario

Advertise in the BTRA Newsletter

29 Lockwood Road

 Share on Facebook

This article was originally published in the Spring 2004 edition of the Triangle Topics newsletter.

June Stewart has lived at 29 Lockwood Road all of her life. Her granddad and grandmother, William and Christina Ross, came to Canada from Scotland and settled in this house in order to “get out of the town” and move to the new development in The Beach.

27, 29 and 31 Lockwood were all built in 1917, and the Rosses bought this threestorey, four-bedroom home for $4,500. This house cost $500 extra at the time as it was built using prestigious “Toronto Brick” rather than the lesser “Price Brick”. Like many Triangle homes, 29 Lockwood had both gas and electric service.

Jessie Ross married James Mellis and they came to live at 29 Lockwood. In 1922 Carlysle was born, followed in 1928 by June. June recalls that the location of the present marina was known as “The Cut” – a marshy bog – where she and her brother loved to explore. She also recalls keeping chickens and rabbits in their back yard.

June and Carlysle went to Norway School, and to get there they had to walk past the village Post Office on the north side of Kingston Road, just east of Woodbine, and the hotel on the opposite side (today’s Legion Hall), which sported a large horse trough.

The Track had a great influence on the neighbourhood – the entrance was just at the bottom of Lockwood. The kids were often let in free to watch the horses. It was a source of income for the families at 29 Lockwood – they charged five cents a car to park on the boulevard in front of the house and often got fifty cent tips, if the bettors were lucky!

June and Layton Stewart were married in July 1954 (they celebrate their 50th Anniversary this July!) and made 29 Lockwood their home. Granddad Ross and June’s father had already passed away, but Grandmother Ross soldiered on until 1973, living to 93 years.

June describes she and Layton going on excursions in the ‘40’s, taking a boat from the ferry terminal to Port Dalhousie and then a trolley to Niagara Falls at very little cost. They recall one of the sixteen first LCBO locations in Toronto, on the south-east corner of Woodbine and Queen (where the Pizza-Pizza is now). Layton points out that “The Long’s owned the Orchard Park Tavern (now the Best Western Hotel) and got city cooperation to allow no bars east of Kingston Road, a condition that continued until the ‘60’s.”

29 Lockwood originally had a driveway that ended at the back wall of the house (June recalls her dad having a car and her granddad having an “enormous Chandler – with a bullet hole in the trunk!”). The city finally took part of the back lots and created a back lane, permitting construction of garages at the back.