Skip to: Site menu | Main content

Beach Triangle Residents Association

Neighbourhood News and Information

The Beach Triangle Residents Association, Toronto, Ontario

Advertise in the BTRA Newsletter

The Triangle Neighbourhood in the Fifties

By John Ellis

 Share on Facebook

This article was originally published in the Winter 2005 edition of the Triangle Topics newsletter.

Lil Rowe also speaks of the neighbourhood in the fifties - there was a butcher shop at the corner of Rainsford and Queen (now Sauvignon) run by Mr. Goodwin, and a bowling alley and pool hall on Queen in the block between Rainsford and Brookmount. The convenience store at the corner of Rainsford Road and Kingston Road was then a grocery run by Gordon Cane. A dry goods store was next door (today part of the convenience store). There were many stores on Kingston Road, east of Woodbine, including Knowles Barber Shop (operated by Jack and Art), a butcher shop and a hardware store.

Woodbine Avenue was paved with bricks north of Kingston Road, to help the horses get up the hills when the streets were slippery. Lil recalls the visit of King George and Queen Elizabeth at Woodbine Racetrack on Queen Street in 1939 for the King's Plate event, and of Queen Elizabeth II for the Queen's Plate race in 1959.

Further afield, Lil points out that Shopper's World on the Danforth was previously a farmer's market and later a Nash plant (for those of you too young to remember, Nash was a very popular automobile).